SCOTTS VALLEY POLICE CHIEFS
Chief Pittenger was born in March of 1930 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He served in the U.S. Navy as a Navycorpsman with the 1st Marine Division between 1949 to 1953. He married Alice Hysom on July 6, 1951 at the Ranch House Chapel at Camp Pendleton, CA. He served as a special deputy with the Santa Cruz County Sheriffs Office for eleven years before starting the Scotts Valley Police Department in November 1966. Click here for a full biography of Chief Pittenger.
Chief Walpole is a 31 year veteran of the Scotts Valley Police Department. His career began in August 1970 when he was hired as a reserve officer. He was hired as a full-time patrol officer in June of 1972, and has gone through the ranks of the department, becoming a Sergeant in April 1974, Lieutenant in September 1979, and Chief of Police in November 1986. For a four month period in 1991, Chief Walpole was Acting City Manager. In 1983 he attended and graduated from the 134th FBI National Academy, located in Quantico, Virginia. Click here for a full biography of Chief Walpole.
Chief Bush is a 29 year veteran of the Scotts Valley Police Department. His career began in May of 1973 when he became a Reserve Officer with the department. He was hired as a full time officer in June of that same year. In May of 1974 he became a field training officer and in May of 1975 he left that assignment to bcome the department's first full time detective. In November of 1978 Chief Bush was promoted to Sergeant where heserved until November of 1986 when he was promoted to Lieutenant. In August of 1988 he was promoted to Captain and in July of 2001 he was promoted to Chief of Police. Click here to for a full biography of Chief Bush.
Chief Lind was born in Seattle, Washington and shortly thereafter moved to California, where he has lived since 1958. He graduated locally from Soquel High School and attended Cabrillo College and San Jose State University. He was the "Outstanding Graduate" of the 44th Class of the Central Coast Counties Police Academy at Gavilan College. Chief Lind is also a 1993 graduate of the 172nd Session of the FBI National Academy, located in Quantico, Virginia. Click here for a full biography of Chief Lind.
Chief Weiss was hired with the Scotts Valley Police Department in 1990. He has served as a Patrol Officer, Juvenile Detective, Training Sergeant, and Operations Lieutenant. He holds a Master’s degree in Criminal Justice Administration. When away from work in addition to reading and outdoor oil painting, Chief Weiss enjoys spending time with his family. Click here for a full biography of Chief Weiss.
THE HISTORY OF OUR FACILITIES
This photo was taken from a Santa Cruz Sentinel article dated March 1, 1970. The caption read "Scotts Valley residents are proud of this old farmhouse, which has been converted into City Hall. Bees and birds sometimes nest in the siding, and the surrounding four acre site is guarded by a banty rooster named Fernando the Great. Police department headquarters lie beyond that door at lower left. The building also houses city administrative office, planning office, city council chambers, building department and accounting." Our department was on the first floor while city hall was located above.
In the early 1970's the police department was moved to an old converted airport hangar which was shared with City Hall. We eventually grew until we needed to buy a trailer, which was parked next to the building. The building used to be where the current Senior Center is now located.
A young Officer Hohmann peruses some paperwork inside the P.D. trailer locker room.
Inside the P.D. trailer squad room with Donna Lind, John Hohmann, Steve Lind, Bill Adams, and Tom Bush.
We continued to grow and in 1987 we moved into a brand new building at our current location. The original red farm house theme was repeated: City Hall was located upstairs and the department was located below. This building's foundation and framing was built by volunteers from the community and police department employees.
Since 1987, our department's facility has grown, both on the exterior and interior. In 1996, two new offices and a conference room were added. In 1997, we added an additional locker room. We have also added other buildings over the years such as a motorcycle shed, a generator shed, and an antique car garage.