The Scotts Valley Police Department is currently accepting applications for the following Emergency Dispatcher positions:
(1) Per Diem Emergency Dispatcher. (3 years prior Emergency Dispatch experience with a California law enforcement agency required) The process for applying for this position can be found here.
(2) Emergency Dispatcher (Entry level). The Scotts Valley Police Department is continuously accepting applications for this position. The process for applying for this position is outlined below.
1. Thoroughly review the Qualification/Job Description Flyer. The flyer includes salary and benefits information, minimum qualifications, application testing process including required testing when submitting application, and pre-employment drug policy.
2. In order for your application to be considered complete, applicants must complete all of the following:
- POST Dispatcher Test (PDT) with a passing score of 50.0. To schedule the POST Dispatcher Test (PDT), go to the South Bay Academy website at http:www.theacademy.ca.gov/dispatch. Click on Test Locations & Dates for available PDT test sessions.
Submit the completed City Application, PDT passing score results, and passing typing certificate to the Police Department by email to , by USPS mail at 1 Civic Center Drive, Scotts Valley, CA 95066, or in person.
3. Once your application packet is received, you will be contacted by our Investigations Division for a Pre-Screen Interview.
4. Upon completion of the Pre-Screen Interview, candidates will be placed on an eligibility list for up to 1 year.
5. Eligibility list candidates will be invited to a Selection Interview to assess an applicant's experience, education, judgment, oral communication skills and interpersonal skills. All candidates who receive a score of 80% or more on the selection interview will be placed on a hiring list for 1 year.
6. After successful passing of the Selection Interview, candidates are encouraged to schedule a Dispatch Orientation with the Dispatch Supervisor by calling (831) 440-5670.
7. Top candidates will be selected for a background investigation in accordance with the POST Commission and Background Investigations Manual. Candidates will also be required to successfully complete, to the satisfaction of this department, a polygraph test administered by a licensed polygrapher, a psychological exam given by a City selected psychologist, and a medical exam by a City selected physician (to include a vision test and a general physical exam). In addition to the qualifications noted above, suitability for employment will also be based on the following POST job dimensions: moral character, handling stress and adversity, work habits, interactions with others and intellectually based abilities.
8. The final step before hiring is a Chief’s Interview.