The Scotts Valley Police Department continuously accepts applications for the position of Lateral Police Officer / Academy Graduate. The process for applying for a position is outlined below. Applications are kept on file at the department for a period of one year. Potential applicants will be contacted during that one year period if a position becomes available. Currently there are no open positions available.
- Thoroughly read the Entry Level Police Officer Recruitment Flyer or the Lateral/Academy Graduate Police Officer Recruitment Flyer, as applicable. The flyer includes salary and benefits information, minimum qualifications, application testing process (including where to get the POST Entrance Assessment completed), pre-employment drug policy, and even a map/directions to the police department. Thoroughly read the Class Specification for the position as well.
- Vision requirements may be an issue. Please read our Visions Standards.
- Complete the POST Entrance Assessment Process. The written and physical test results are good for 6 months from the date of application. www.theacademy.ca.gov
- Fill out the City Employment Application Form.
- Turn in BOTH the completed City Application and POST Entrance Assessment results. Application packets can be mailed to or dropped off at Scotts Valley City Hall at 1 Civic Center Dr, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. They may also be submitted electronically via email to email@example.com.
- After the application is processed, a detective will contact you to arrange a Pre-Screen Interview. Those who pass the Pre-Screening Interview will be placed on an eligibility list for one year until such time as a position is available.
- Upon availability, eligibility list candidates will be invited to a Selection Interview to assess an applicant's experience, education, judgment, oral communication skills and interpersonal skills. All candidates who receive a score of 80% or more on the Selection Interview will be placed on a hiring list for 1 year.
- Top candidates will be selected for a background investigation in accordance with the POST Commission and Background Investigations Manual. Candidates will also be required to successfully complete, to the satisfaction of this department, a polygraph test administered by a licensed polygrapher, a psychological exam given by a City selected psychologist and a medical exam by a City selected physician (to include a back X-ray and general physical examination). In addition to the qualifications noted above, suitability for employment will also be based on the following POST job dimensions: moral character, handling stress and adversity, work habits, interactions with others and intellectually based abilities.
- The final step before hiring is a Chief’s Interview.